KDH provides inpatient care in an Acute ‘Mixed Ward’ with 27 beds.
We provide care for patients who need to stay overnight and on a day-stay only basis:
- Requiring medical and surgical care
- Participating in the Transition Care Program
- Requiring palliative respite or end of life care
- Requiring antenatal or postnatal care (before or after the birth of their baby in another organisation – KDH does not provide a birthing service)
- Undergoing Haemodialysis treatment.
In compliance with the Safe Patient Care (Nurse to Patient and Midwife to Patient Ratios) Amendment Act 2019, we roster nurses according to the following ratios:
Morning Shift (7.00 am – 3.30 pm) 1 nurse: 6 patients
Afternoon Shift (1.00 pm – 9.30 pm) 1 nurse: 7 patients
Night Shift (9.00 pm – 7.30 am) 1 nurse: 10 patients
The Dialysis Unit is staffed independently of the Mixed Ward – with 1 nurse: 3 patients.
Based on analysis of occupancy for the year 2018, the expected occupancy of the Acute Mixed Ward during the following 6 months is 30%.