KDH provides care in a ‘Mixed Ward’. That is, we provide care for patients who need to stay overnight and for those requiring treatment on a day-stay only basis:
- with medical and surgical conditions
- participating in the Transition Care Program (x 2 allocated beds)
- requiring palliative respite or end of life care (x 1 allocated bed)
- requiring antenatal or postnatal care (before and after the birth of their baby) (x 1 bed), and
- booked to deliver their baby following a low-risk pregnancy (1 birthing suite)
In compliance with the Safe Patient Care (Nurse to Patient and Midwife to Patient Ratios) Amendment Act 2019, we roster nurses according to the following ratios:
Morning Shift (7.00 am – 3.30 pm) 1 nurse: 6 patients
Afternoon Shift (1.00 pm – 9.30 pm) 1 nurse: 7 patients
Night Shift (9.00 pm – 7.30 am) 1 nurse: 10 patients
This staffing includes cover for each of the clinical specialties listed above as required to comply with Level 4 hospital staff ratios.
Based on analysis of occupancy for the year 2018, the expected occupancy of the Acute Mixed Ward is 30%.
Our Birthing Suite/Maternity Service is staffed by a Midwife under the Midwife-Led Model of Care. One Midwife is rostered on duty / on-call 24/7.